Reality TV

I realized that these past few months most of the TV shows I watch are reality shows. I think it's mainly because the non-reality shows that I like/want to watch (CSI, Alias, 24, Darna (LOL!), etc) are aired at a time that I am at/on my way home to work (I work nights). Every Sunday (my day off the job), I usually watch several movies. It doesn't help that I am also a moderator in a reality show-based forum.

I am most surprised at finding myself interested in a reality show that is not even aired here in the Philippines. I'm talking about Big Brother 6. That show has got to be the most strategy-filled reality show I have ever known, way more cut throat than Survivor. From what I read in message boards, it is one of the most interesting BB seasons that CBS produced. Some even say the season might be "scripted" and not really "real" (which is what reality shows are all about).

Someone told me that our version of BB, Pinoy Big Brother, is patterned after their first season of BB (which, according to her, sucked). Hopefully, our own version of BB won't disappoint us. You can read the rules of Pinoy Big Brother in this site.

I got hooked on BB6 because of a BB6 prediction game I joined. (Thanks Sheree!) Each week, we have to predict (of course) several things about Big Brother 6, like who will be evicted (voted off, eliminated, etc) and who will be nominated.

How do I follow a show that I don't even get to watch? By reading recaps, of course! A recap, for those who don't know, is a sort-of detailed summary of an episode. Reality News Online (RNO) provide recaps of the show's episodes and live feeds. One of the reasons Big Brother is popular is because people outside the BB house can watch what is happening inside. CBS offers Live Feeds of the cameras within the house itself, so you can watch everything that happens in there 24/7 (for a price). For those of us who don't have the live feeds, we can read the recaps from RNO.

I promised myself that I have to download the episodes (from mIRC) sometime so that I can watch them.

September is coming, and two of my favorite reality shows will be back! I'm talking about The Amazing Race and Survivor!

The latest installment of the most popular reality show in the U.S. is set in the exotic ruins of the Mayan Empire. Survivor: Guatemala presents 16 new castaways that will try to outwit, outplay, and outlast each other for 39 days to win the $1 million prize. Expect some rather good twists in the first episode. Rumor has it that 2 former castaways will be back! Their role in the game is still sketchy though.

I am really looking forward to Survivor: Guatemala. I love the new theme, and I hope they incorporate it nicely in the challenges. I am rooting for Morgan and Brian! (Brian and I has the same birthday. I just hope he's not too cocky, which I'm afraid he is.)

The 8th season of the 2-time Emmy award-winning reality (and my favorite) show The Amazing Race is back with a new twist. Instead of the usual teams of 2, they now have 10 teams of 4. This season is called The Amazing Race: Family Edition. Each team is comprised of 4 people in a family, but it's not just father-mother-child-child. There are in-laws, siblings, and even a widowed mother and her 3 kids.

Some say that this will not turn out good, but I am positive that this new twist will provide great entertainment. I am rooting for the Gaghans and the Blacks! Even though their kids are the youngest in the Race, I believe that they will surprise the other teams by doing well. At least, that's what I hope.

Studio 23 has been airing Survivor and The Amazing Race for a few years now. I'm thinking they'll keep the shows in their usual schedule. Survivor will be Fridays at 1:00 (or 2:00) pm while The Amazing Race will be Wednesdays at 9:00 am. Survivor replays are weekends (Sunday night, I think), but Amazing Race replays of the past 2 seasons (season 6 and 7) were Wednesday nights. Why can't they just air the replay of these 2 shows back-to-back on a Sunday night? That would be awesome.

I hope you can check out these reality shows!


JP

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First HDTV: TCL LED32P11

May 2021

The Past 7 Years